Dr. Kanhaiya Kumar
Fermentation and Microbial Biotechnology
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
Email: k.kumar222 @iiim.res.in
Kanhaiya Kumar is presently working as a Senior Scientist in the Fermentation and Microbial Biotechnology division of Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM), Jammu. He received his Ph.D degree in 2014 from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur. Previously, Dr. Kumar has contributed in research as a Senior Researcher at Advanced Biomass R & D Center (ABC), KAIST, South Korea and as a Post-doc at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway.
In the early part of his research career, his core research area was bioenergy (Biohydrogen, Biodiesel etc.) production, secondary metabolites extraction and carbon dioxide sequestration using microalgae. Later while working as a Post-doc at NTNU, Norway, his research domain expanded for the deep-phenotype study of various microorganisms especially for antibiotics production from Streptomyces sp. using tools and techniques of Metabolomics and Fermentation Technology. He is currently involved in identification, extraction and mass production of novel bioactive biomolecules. He also has several years of teaching experience in the Biochemical engineering and the allied subjects to the National and the International students during his stay at National Institute of Technology (NIT), Calicut and NTNU, Norway. Dr. Kumar has published more than 20 articles in peer-reviewed journals of International repute and around 30 conference presentations at National and International platforms.
|Senior Scientist||2022 till now||IIIM, Jammu, India|
|Post-doc||2017 to 2021||NTNU, Norway|
|Faculty (Adhoc)||2016 to 2017||NIT, Calicut, India|
|Senior Researcher||2014 to 2016||ABC, KAIST, South Korea|
Area of Expertise
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Bioreactor/Photobioreactors design and operation
- Modelling of the bioprocess
- Physiology of microorganisms (Bacteria, Microalgae, Cyanobacteria, Streptomyces, Yeast)
- Antibiotics production
- Primary metabolites profiling: Absolute quantification of (deoxy) Nucleosides/Sugar – phosphates, Amino acids, Organic acids, NADs, CoAs using chromatographic methods combined with isotope dilution and tandem mass spectrometry
- CO2 sequestration through biological routes
- Bioenergy (hydrogen, biodiesel, bioethanol) production
Bioprospecting microbial species from unexplored ecological niches for novel molecules and enzymes. Major lab project of the Institute (MLP)-Ongoing. Funding Agency-CSIR
|Kumar, K., Bruheim, P||Nutrient-depended metabolic switching during batch cultivation of Streptomyces coelicolor explored with absolute quantitative mass spectrometry-based metabolite profiling||3 Biotech, 2022|
|Farooq, W., Naqvi, SR., Sajid, M., Shrivastav, A., Kumar K.||Monitoring lipids profile, CO2 fixation, and water recyclability for the economic viability of microalgae Chlorella vulgaris cultivation at different initial nitrogen||Journal of Biotechnology, 2022|
|Kumar, K., Bruheim, P.||A comparative study at bioprocess and metabolite levels of superhost strain Streptomyces coelicolor M1152 and its derivative M1581 heterologously expressing chloramphenicol biosynthetic gene cluster||Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2022|
|Kumar, K., Bruheim, P.||Large dependency of intracellular NAD and CoA pools on cultivation conditions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae||BMC Research Notes, 2021|
|Kumar, K., Venkatraman V., Bruheim P.,||Adaptation of central metabolite pools to variations in growth rate and cultivation conditions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae||Microbial Cell Factories, 2021|
|Røst, L.M., Thorfinnsdottir, L.B., Kumar, K., Fuchino, K., Langørgen, I.E., Bartosova, Z., Kristiansen, K.A., Bruheim, P.,||Absolute Quantification of the Central Carbon Metabolome in Eight Commonly Applied Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Model Systems.||Metabolites, 2020|
|Kumar, K., Mishra, S.K., Shrivastav, A., Park, M.S., Yang, J.-W.,||Recent trends in the mass cultivation of algae in Raceway ponds.||Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2016|
|Kumar, K., Banerjee, D., Das, D.,||Carbon dioxide sequestration from industrial flue gas by Chlorella sorokiniana.||Bioresource Technology, 2014|
|Kumar K., Das D.,||Growth characteristics of Chlorella sorokiniana in airlift and bubble column photobioreactor.||Bioresource Technology, 2012|
|Kumar, K., Dasgupta, C.N., Nayak, BK., Lindblad, P., Das D.,||Development of suitable photobioreactors for CO2 sequestration addressing global warming using green algae and cyanobacteria.||Bioresource Technology, 2011|
Awards and Honours
- Guest Editor of a special issue in the journal Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology.
- Reviewer of several Journals of International repute.
- Federation of European Microbiological Societies Congress Attendance Grantee 2019.
- Certificate for outstanding contribution in reviewing by Algal Research in 2016.
- Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India in 2012.
- Foreign Travel Grant (2012) awarded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), India.
- Foreign Travel Grant (2012) awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India.
- One article featured in the Sciencedirect top 25 lists of most downloaded articles for Bioresource Technology Journal – April to June 2011
- Research Fellowship from the project entitled BioCO2 sequestration sponsored by Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in 2009.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) qualified in 2010 in Biotechnology with All India Rank of 759.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) qualified in 2009 in Life Sciences with All India rank of 907.