Dr. Siya Ram Meena
Sr. Tech. Officer (II)
Plant Sciences and Agrotechnology Division (PSA)
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
I am working in the area of Agriculture Science with special reference to Agronomy wherein I used to look after day to day research field activities which includes farm- management, extension as well as scientific work related to research and development of Medicinal and Aromatic plants.
So far, the work related to farm management is one of the important areas to utilize minimum resources to get maximum output. This work is very specialized in terms of looking after the entire farm activities in such a way so that farm looks pretty as well as every crop should be placed as per their habitat requirement. The work is also required to effort efficient deployment of labour in such manners so that maximum work might be taken within the working hours.
During the service period I have been associated with various R & D activities on Medicinal and Aromatic plants. Designing of field trial, preparing field operation SOPs data management (field observations, pre-harvest and post-harvest), record keeping, Crop Management, Harvest management, Water Management and Distillation.
Gene bank of various MAPs are being maintained as per the institutional requirement, I used to introduce new plant/ accession / species in the gene bank time to time. I am also associated with different kind of production activities which includes QPM production, seed production and essential oil of production.
I used to render by service in the different kind of extension activities carried out throughout India in various ongoing mission projects.
|Ph D Agriculture||Agronomy||SKUAST-Kashmir (J&K)||2017|
|M Sc Agriculture||Agronomy||Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University-Agra (UP)||2004|
|Bachelors in Education||Science||MDU-Rohtak, Haryana||1996|
|B.Sc Ag. (Hons.)||Agriculture||RAU-Bikaner Rajasthan||1995|
|Sr. Tech. Officer (2)||2020-Continue||CSIR-IIIM|
|Sr. Tech. Officer (1)||2012 – 2020||CSIR-IIIM|
|Technical Officer||2007 – 2012||CSIR-IIIM|
|Sr. Technical Assistant||2002 – 2007||CSIR-IIIM|
|Farm Supervisor||1997 – 2002||CSIR-IIIM|
Area of Expertise
1.Farm Management: -Execution of farm Management strategies viz. Deployment of work among the workers for judicious use of farm resources, preparation of planning for timely sowing, planting, harvesting and extraction of Oils from the aroma bearing crops for daily basis.
Supervised day to day activities viz; Nursery raising, Field layout, Transplanting, Irrigation, Hoeing & Weeding, Fertigation, Harvesting, Distillation and storage of Essential oils.
Maintenance of Farm records viz; various log books of Farm Machineries, Overseer book, Consumable and Non-consumable stock register, Crop Production register etc.
- Extension activities: – Mass production of Quality planting materials and extracts of various Aromatic and Medicinal crops viz., Cymbopogon spp., Ocimum spp., Mentha spp., Monarda citriodora, Woodfordia, Coleobrookea, Withania, Dysoxylum etc., Supply of Quality planting materials to various state various states planting and their extension. Organized training cum awareness programme at various places throughout the country. Providing technical know-how regarding GAP of MAPs. Monitoring of cropped areas at farmers’ fields
- R&D: –
- Development of agrotechnology for Monarda citriodora, Woodfordia, Coleobrookea, Grewia asiatica, Cymbopogon spp., Mentha spp., and Ocimum spp.,
- Varietal improvement for various MAPs.
- Maintain of various field research trials of RCT, Weed managements, water use efficiency, Sustainable crop production and improvement of MAPs.
- Mentha longifolia [Anant carvomint RRL(J)ML-04] in 2007.
- Monarda citriodora [IIIM(J) MC-02] in 2010.
- Cymbopogon khasianus [IIIM(J)CK-10] in 2012.
- Grewia assiatica [Shivalik IIIM(J)- GA-9] in 2016.
- Development of GAP for Thymol rich Monarda citriodora crop and transferred to FFDC, Kannauj, UP, Kupwara, and Srinagar (UT-J&K)] .
- Technologies developed of Phalsa Health drink and transferred in UT-J&K.
- Technology developed of Leh berry Health drink and transferred in UT-Ladakh & J&K.
- Developed Package of Practices for Lavender, Geranium (High value Aroma bearing Crops) for high altitude of J&K and Uttarakhand.
- Technology developed and transferred for Himrosa (an Aromatic crop) in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, MP and UP.
- Technology developed and transferred for Rosa grass (an Aromatic crop) in Gujarat, Maharashtra,
- Utter Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Jammu& Kashmir.
A success story was established for cultivation of Mint in non-traditional area in collaboration with CSIR-IIIM Jammu and SIMAP Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu.
- Awareness cum Training Programme Organized in different states namely J&K, Haryana, UP, MP, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh Tamil Nadu and Arunachal Pradesh through Aroma Mission Project.
- More than 124 numbers of Awareness cum Training Programme were Organized by our team in the mission project.
- More than 7500 participants were participated in the programme among them 1500 numbers of female participants were participated.
- More than 3.5 lakh nos of beneficiaries (farmers/Growers, Entrepreneur and Industrial groups) benefited through Mission project.
- About 4 crores nos of quality planting material was supplied free of cost to the farmers throughout country.
- More than 1800 ha. Area was covered by growing of Medicinal and Aromatic crops through Mission project.
- Total 61 nos of distillation units have been installed at nearby the farmers’ fields.
As a Joint Secretory organized kissan mela entrepreneurship and flower show during the year in 2014, 2015 and 2017)
- CSIR Aroma Mission project [HCP-0007] CO-PI [Extension]
- CSIR- Phyto pharma Mission [HCP-0010] Co-PI [Captive Cultivation endangered plants]
- J&K Arogya Gram Yojna [RSP-4001] CO-PI & Vertical Head [Extension]
- Agrotechnology Transfer and Thymol Crystal from Jammu Monarda [MLP-2011] CO-PI
- Development of aroma value addition product from aromatic oils [RSP-4023] CO-PI
- Demonstration cultivation & processing of Aromatic crops under Bundelkhand region [GAP-2172] – Team Member
- Kissan Mela Entrepreneurship programme and flower show for rural prosperity through MAPs [GAP-1190] – Team Member
- Development and Standardization of Bio- recourses pool at IIIM experimental farm [MLP-2010] – Team Member
- CSIR-800 Rural prosperity through MAPs [ RSP-4050] – Team Member
- Monarda citriodora:- Biology Standardized cultivation techniques, Demonstration and commercialization for Rural Prosperity – Team Member
- Introduction, domestication improvement, cultivation of economically important plants [BSC-0110] – Team Member
- End to End technology on Phalsa cultivation and production [SSP-0420] – Team Member
- Establishment and demonstration of farm of Aroma cash crop in district Kupwara in Jammu and Kashmir K-5000 [GAP-0212] – Team Member
- Propagation and demonstration of Coleobrookea oppositifolia. – Team Member
- Mentha longifolia [Anant carv mint (RRL(J) ML04] – Team Member
|S. R. Meena, F. A. Aga, S. Chandra, R. Gochar, B. Koli, M. H. Khan and Shahid Rasool (2017)
|Studies on the phytochemical traits and their correlation with quantitative characters of Monarda||Annals of Phytomedicine 6(1): 88-94,|
|Brijendra Koli, Rajendra Gochar,
SR Meena, Suresh Chandra and
Kushal Bindu (2017)
|Domestication and nutrient management of Monarda citriodora Cer.ex Lag. in Sub
Tropical region of Jammu (India)
2018; 6(2): 1259-
|Rajendra Gochar, Brijendra Koli, Siyaram Meena, Suresh Chandra, Rajendra Bhanwaria and Mamta Gochar (2017)
|Response of nutrients management on growth, yield and quality of phalsa (Grewia asiatica L.) in Jammu region||Trends in Biosciences 10(24), Print: ISSN 0974- 8431, 5195-5198|
|Mahajan V, Rather IA, Awasthi P, Gairola S, Meena SR, Anand R, Bedi YS, Gandhi SG (2015).||Development of chemical and EST-SSR markers for Ocimum genus||Ind. Crops and Prod.
R Gupta,N.Paul, S.R.Meena,
Rakesh Kumar (2010).
|A study on trends in agricultural production practices followed by the farmers and constraints at farmers levels||Indian journal of social research 51(3): 261-268|
|G.Ram, M.K. Bhan, Ashok Ahuja, S.R.Meena,M.K.Koul, K.K.Gupta, R.L.Jolly, R.K.Khajuria (2007)||Variability and selection on different Argyrolobium roseum accessions for morphological traits and yield||Genet.resour Crop Evol
|Shankar, R.; Chandra, S.; Meena, SR.; Verma, MK.; Bindu, K.; Vij, B.; Dheer, D.; Jyoti; Vishwakarma, RA.||A process for the preparation of natural crystallized thymol from Monarda citriodora (Jammu Monarda) oil (W.O. Patent Application No. PCT/IN2019/050003)
|Natural essential oil was extracted from a new crop of Monarda citiodora (Jammu Monarda) which have more than 70 percent thymol compound which is higher than the Ajwain, Ocimum viridii and Thymus vulgaris||Filled in 2017.|
Awards and Honours
- Ultra-International Team award- 2018 by Ultra International Ltd.
- Scientist of the year Team award –2016 by Essential Oil Association of India.