Dr. Bilal Ahmad Bhat
Medicinal Chemistry Division (IIIM-Srinagar)
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Sanat Nagar, Srinagar– 190005
Dr. Bilal A. Bhat joined the CSIR-IIIM Srinagar as a Scientist in 2010 and currently working as a Senior Scientist. His field of specialization is the organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry. Earlier, he worked for his Ph. D program at IIIM-Jammu and received a doctorate degree in Chemistry from the University of Kashmir, Srinagar in 2007. After completing his Ph. D, he moved to the Indian Institute of Science Bengaluru for postdoctoral training with Prof. Goverdhan Mehta’s Group. During his two and a half years of stay at IISc, he worked on some ambitious natural products total synthesis projects. Subsequently, Dr. Bhat moved overseas, Florida Atlantic University, Florida-USA, as Indo-US Science and Technology Fellow (IUSSTF). During this tenure with Prof. Salvatore Lepore’s Group at FAU, he worked on the acquisition, asymmetry and applications of allenes in natural products. Dr. Bhat also served as a visiting faculty to the School of Chemistry, Hyderabad Central University (HCU), Telangana. Dr. Bhat’s research group interests are focused on the efficient creation of molecules of Nature and human imagination, having implications in mitigating various human diseases. As an AcSIR faculty, he also teaches courses related to advanced organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry and natural product synthesis.
|Ph. D.||Medicinal Chemistry||University of Kashmir- Srinagar||2007|
|M. Sc.||Chemistry||University of Kashmir- Srinagar||2003|
|B. Sc.||Medical Science||University of Kashmir- Srinagar||2000|
|Principal Scientist||2020-Present||CSIR-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Srinagar|
|Senior Scientist||2015-20||CSIR-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Srinagar|
|Scientist||2010-15||CSIR-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Srinagar|
|IUSST Fellow||2013-14||Florida Atlantic University, Florida-USA|
|Postdoctoral Fellow||2008-10||Indian Institute of Science-Bengaluru|
Area of Expertise
- New synthetic strategies, methods and routes for efficient creation of molecules
- Total synthesis of architecturally enticing natural products and molecules of human imagination
- Structural reformation of natural products and non-natural scaffolds for Med. Chem. Programs
- Micelle-guided organic reactions in stereo-, regio- and enantio-controlled fashion
- Insilico-steered synthesis of architecturally challenging inosito-inositols: An approach to prevent amyloid-β aggregation in Alzheimer’s disease. Funding Agency: SERB, Govt. of India (ongoing).
- A unified approach towards lactones and spirolactones: Applications towards the synthesis of related natural products. Funding Agency: SERB, Govt. of India, (ongoing).
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of bis(tetrahydrofuran) based scaffolds as potential neurotrophic factor enhancing agents Funding Agency: SERB, Govt. of India (completed).
- Synthesis and applications of N-heterocyclic carbenes towards biologically potent heterocyclic scaffolds. Funding Agency: SERB, Govt. of India (completed).
- Synthesis of novel anti-TB compounds and their mechanism of action. Funding Agency: SERB, Govt. of India (completed).
- Bringing natural products into the fold: Exploration of their role in combating neurodegenerative diseases. Funding Agency: CSIR, Govt. of India, MLP-project (completed).
- Showkat Rashid, Bilal A. Bhat, Goverdhan Mehta. Conceptualization and synthesis of first inosito-inositol (decahydroxydecalin, DHD): In silico binding to b-amyloid protein. Chem. Eur. J. 2020, doi.org/10.1002/chem.202003367.
- Showkat Rashid, Bilal A. Bhat, Goverdhan Mehta. A Vicarious, One-Pot Synthesis of Benzo and Naphthofurans: Applications to the Syntheses of Stereumene B and Paeoveitols. Tetrahedron Lett. 2019, 60, 1122-1125.
- Animesh Roy, Bilal A. Bhat, Salvatore D. Lepore. Asymmetric Protonation of Cumulenolates: Synthesis of Allenyl Aldehydes Facilitated by an Organomanganese Auxiliary. Org Lett. 2016, 18, 1230-1233.
- Ali Mohd Lone, Nawab John Dar, Abid Hamid, Wajaht Amin Shah, Muzamil Ahmad, Bilal A. Bhat. Promise of retinoic acid-triazolyl derivatives in promoting differentiation of neuroblastoma cells. ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2016, 7, 82−89
- Bashir Ahmad Shairgojray, Aijaz Ahmad Dar, Bilal A. Bhat. Cationic chiral surfactant based micelle-guided asymmetric Morita-Baylis-Hillman reaction. Catal. Commun. 2016, 83, 58-61.
- Animesh Roy, Bilal A. Bhat, Salvatore D. Lepore. Organo-Manganese η2‑Auxiliary Directed Reactions: A Diastereoselective Approach to 2,3-Allenols. Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 900-903.
- Showkat Rashid, Bilal A. Bhat, Goverdhan Mehta. Regenerative γ‑Lactone Annulations: A Modular, Iterative Approach to Oligo-tetrahydrofuran Molecular Stairs and Related Frameworks. Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 3604−3607.
- Bilal A. Bhat, Samantha L. Maki, Elijah J. St.Germain, Pradip Maity. Salvatore D. Lepore. Annulation Reactions of Allenyl Esters: An Approach to Bicyclic Diones and Medium-Sized Rings. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 9402−9407.
- Ali Mohd Lone, Bilal A. Bhat. Metal free stereoselective synthesis of functionalized enamides. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2014, 12, 242–246.
- Bashir Ahmad Shairgojray, Aijaz Ahmad Dar, Bilal A. Bhat. Micellar promiscuity: An expeditious approach to Morita-Baylis-Hillman reaction. Tetrahedron Lett. 2013, 54, 2391-2394.
Awards and Honours
- Cover picture of the paper “2,2’-Peroxybis(tetrahydrofuran), a tenuously stable but persistent hazardous contaminant of THF: a fortuitous entrapment as co-crystal with a polycyclitol” Tetrahedron Lett. 2016, 57, 5355.
- Editorial advisory board member of The Merk Index online, Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0WF, UK, 2015-
- Indo-US Fellowship by Indo-US Science & Technology Forum, India 2013-14.
- Early Career Research Grant 2013-16 (SERB, Govt. of India).
- D.S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship from University Grants Commission, India 2008-10.
- Young Scientist Award in Chemical Sciences by J&K Science & Technology Department-2008 (citation and cash prize).
- Best poster presentation award in an “International Symposium on Genomic Instability and Cancer” July 2007 held at University of Kashmir, India (citation and cash prize).
- CSIR-IIIM best paper award-2006 (citation and cash prize).
- CSIR-IIIM best paper award-2005 (citation and cash prize).
|S NO.||Name||Area of Interest||Education|
|1||Dr. Tabasum Ismail||Chemistry of lactones and spirolactones||TARE-Fellow|
|2||Bisma Teli||Chemistry of anti-TB compounds||WOS-A Fellow|
|3||Mohamad Muzafar||Micelle-guided organic synthesis||UGC-JRF|
|4||Auqib Rashid||New methods for bioactive compounds||Project Fellow|