Dr. Vinod Kumar
Fermentation and Microbial Biotechnology Division
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
He has significantly contributed in the area of Fermentation technology and bioprocess technology for the production of value-added biomolecules. He has developed a prototype for pilot-scale production of bacterial cellulose using liquid whey. Expertise in research and technological development efforts focus on Industrial microbiology and fermentation technology, focusing on biomass to chemicals (xylitol, biofuel, etc.), waste to wealth (bacterial cellulose), industrial enzymes, and platform chemicals. Expert in separation technique, detoxification of lignocellulose hydrolysate using membrane filtration. Expert in screening, process development/engineering (shake flask to fermenter). He has visited Korea, China, and Switzerland.
|Ph.D||Microbiology||University of Delhi, New Delhi||2014|
|M.Sc.||Microbiology||Allahabad Agricultural institute – Deemed University, Prayagraj||2007|
|Technical Officer (Microbial Technology)||09-02-2016 to 24/06/2020||Center of innovative and applied bioprocessing, Mohali|
|Young Scientist||26/10/2015 to 08/02/2020||Center of innovative and applied bioprocessing, Mohali|
|Research Associate||07/04/2014 to 25/-10/2015||Center of innovative and applied bioprocessing, Mohali|
Area of Expertise
- Valorization of agro-industrial waste and biomass processing to produce high-value functional biomolecules.
- Fermentation Technology (along with process of recovery and purification from fermentation broth), worked on Bacterial cellulose, Xylitol, Ethanol, D-allulose.
- Production of industrially important enzymes (Lipase, Protease, L-Asparaginase, etc.).
- Bioprocess for Detoxification and separation of sugars from lignocellulosic biomass hydrolysate.
- Currently working on production of secondary metabolites and low calories sugar alcohol.
- MLP 1008 – Bioprospecting microbial species from unexplored ecological niches for novel molecules and enzymes. (IIIM/MLP/2012/00505)
- Efficient Production of a novel and robust L-asparaginase with low glutaminase activity: optimization, scale up and evaluation of anti-cancerous properties (Complete; SERB: YSS/2014/000015/LS).
|Vinod Kumar, D. K. Sharma, P. P. Sandhu, J. Jadaun, R. S. Sangwan., Sudesh Kumar Yadav||Scale-up process for the sustainable production of bacterial cellulose by an Acetobacter pasteurianus RSV-4 (MTCC 25117) on whey medium||Cellulose 2020 (Accepted)|
|Karnika Thakur, Vinod Kumar, Varun Kumar, Sudesh Kumar Yadav.||Genomic characterization provides genetic evidence for bacterial cellulose synthesis by Acetobacter pasteurianus RSV-4 strain.||International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2020, (156), 598-607.|
|Karnika Thakur, Manisha Chownk, Varun Kumar, Anjali Purohit, Alokika Vashisht, Vinod Kumar & Sudesh Kumar Yadav||Bioprospecting potential of microbial communities in solid waste landfills for novel enzymes through metagenomic approach||World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2020 (36).|
|Vinod Kumar, Pankaj Preet Sandhu, Vivek Ahluwalia, Bhuwan Bushan Mishra, S. K Yadav.||Improved upstream processing for Detoxification and recovery of xylitol produced from corncob||Bioresource Technology. 291 (2019), 121931.|
|Alokika Vashisht, Karnika Thakur, Baljinder S. Kauldhar, Vinod Kumar, Sudesh Kumar Yadav.||Waste valorization: Identification of an ethanol tolerant bacterium Acetobacter pasteurianus SKYAA25 for acetic acid production from apple pomace.||Science of The Total Environment. 690 (2019), 956-964.
|Vinod Kumar, Devendra Kumar Sharma, Vasudha Bansal, D Mehta, R. S. Sangwan, S. K. Yadav||Efficient and economic process for the production of bacterial cellulose from isolated strain of Acetobacter pasteurianus of RSV-4 bacterium.||Bioresource Technology. 275 (2018), 430-433.|
|Vinod Kumar, Meena Krishania, Pankaj Preet Sandhu, Vivek Ahluwalia, Edgard Gnansouno, Rajender S. Sangwan||Efficient Detoxification of corn cob hydrolysate with ion-exchange resins for enhanced xylitol production by Candida tropicalis MTCC 6192.||Bioresource Technology. 2018, (251) 416-419.|
|Vivek Ahluwalia, Sasikumar Elumalai, Vinod Kumar, Sandeep Kumar, Rajender Singh Sangwan||Nano silver particle synthesis using Swertia paniculate herbal extract and its antimicrobial activity.||Microbial Pathogenesis. 2018, (114); 402-408.|
|Vinod Kumar, Divya Mathur, Smriti Srivastava, Shashwat Malhotra, Neha Rana, Suraj K. Singh, Brajendra K. Singh, Ashok K. Prasad, Anjani J. Varma, Christophe Len, Ramesh C. Kuhad, Rajendra K. Saxena and Virinder S. Parmar||Biocatalytic Synthesis of Novel Partial Esters of a Bioactive Dihydroxy 4-Methylcoumarin by Rhizopus oryzae Lipase (ROL).||Molecules. 2016, (21), 1499.
|Vinod Kumar, Firdaus Jahan, Richi V. Mahajan, Rajendra Kumar Saxena (2016).||Efficient regioselective acylation of quercetin using Rhizopus oryzae lipase and its potential as antioxidant||Bioresource Technology 2016. (218):1246–1248.|
Awards and Honours
- Invited as speaker in International conference SWTM-2019 at Yangling, China.
- Invited as speaker in International conference IBA-AMBERS 2018 at Tianjin, China.
- Visiting Scientist, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (Sep. to Oct., 2016).
- Young scientist, Research Project, SERB, DST (2015).
- National Renewable Energy Fellowship, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), 2010-2014
- International Travel grant, DBT (2012)
- International Travel grant, CSIR (2012).
- Life member in the Biotech Research Society (India)(LM-1535).
|S NO.||Name||Area of Interest||Education|