Dr. Saurabh Saran
Fermentation and Microbial Biotechnology Division
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
Microbiologist & Fermentation Scientist with 15 years of experience in Basic Research, technology development & transfer in Industrial microbiology, Biotechnology and Fermentation Technology. Dr. Saran is an expert scientist in strain engineering, strain development, upstream and downstream processing of fermentation and applications of these molecules in various industries. He has developed technologies on Industrial Enzymes, Biochemicals & Biofuels. To his credentials, he has 4 patents and more than 32 international publications in peer reviewed international journals. Dr. Saran has also sizable experience in Entrepreneurship Development.
|PhD||Microbiology||Delhi University. Delhi||2008|
|MSc||Microbiology||CCS Uni, Meerut||2002|
|BSc (Hons)||Zoology||DEI, Agra||2000|
|Principal Scientist||2019-Till Date||CSIR-IIIM,Jammu|
|Senior Scientist||2015- 2018||CSIR-IIIM, Jammu|
|Coordinator (Fermentation)||2010 -2015||Delhi University South Campus, Delhi|
|Research Professor||2009-2010||Myongji University, South Korea|
|Research Scientist||2008-2009||Reliance Industries Limited, Mumbai|
Area of Expertise
- Industrial Microbiology
- Fermentation Technology
- Scale up of bioactive molecules
- Entrepreneurship development
Project Involved / Ongoing Projects
- MPL-110004 Development of zinc gluconate – Vitamin C formulation for immunity improvement and management of coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). (Ongoing)
- Gap-2160 NIDHI- Technology Business Incubator- Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine- Technology Business Incubator (IIIM-TBI) (GAP-2160). (Ongoing)
- MLP 1008 – Bioprospecting microbial species from unexplored ecological niches for novel molecules and enzymes. (Ongoing)
- GAP-2153 Production of bio-cellulose membranes under the purview of development and application of topical antibiotic based transdermal patches EMR, SERB, (Completed)
- 2,3 Butanediol Production using agricultural residue” FTYS/DST/102/2012 (Completed)
|Monika Bhardwaj, ShifaliChib, Loveleena Kaur, Amit Kumar, Bhabatosh Chaudhuri, Fayaz Malik, Ram A. Vishwakarma, Debaraj Mukherjee and Saurabh Saran
|Conversion of amino acids to aryl/heteroaryl ethanol metabolites using human CYP2D6-expressing live baker’s yeast||RSC Medicinal Chemistry|
|Manoj Kumar, NipuntaTanoj & Saurabh Saran||A Modified, Efficient and Sensitive pH Indicator Dye Method for the Screening of Acid-Producing Acetobacter Strains Having Potential Application in Bio-Cellulose Production||Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology|
|ShifaliChib, Ashish Dogra, Utpal Nandi& Saurabh Saran
|Consistent production of kojic acid from Aspergillus sojae SSC-3 isolated from rice husk||Molecular Biology Reports|
|· Ibidapo S. Williams, ShifaliChib, , Vijay K. Nuthakki, Linda Gatchie, Prashant Joshi, Niteen A. Narkhede, Ram A.
· Vishwakarma, Sandip B. Bharate, Bhabatosh Chaudhuri, Saurabh Saran
|Biotransformation of Chrysin to Baicalein: Selective C6-Hydroxylation of 5,7-Dihydroxyflavone Using Whole Yeast Cells Stably Expressing Human CYP1A1 Enzyme||Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry|
|Saurabh Saran, ArushiMathur, JyotsanaDalal, R.K.Saxena
|Process optimization for cultivation and oil accumulation in an oleaginous yeast RhodosporidiumtoruloidesA29
|Saurabh Saran, SanjanaMukherjee, JyotsanaDalal, Rajendra KumarSaxena
|High production of erythritol from Candida sorbosivorans SSE-24 and its inhibitory effect on biofilm formation of Streptococcus mutans||Bioresource Technology
|Nadezhda E Ustyuzhanina,, Natalia A. Ushakova, Marina E. Preobrazhenskaya, Maria I. Bilan, Eugenia A. Tsvetkova, Vadim B. Krylov, Natalia A. Anisimova, Mikhail V, Kiselevskiy, NadezhdaV. Krukovskaya, Chunxia Li, Guangli Yu, Saurabh Saran, Rajendra K. Saxena, Anatolii I, Usov and Nikolay E.Nifantiev.||Fucoidans as a platform for new anticoagulant drugs discovery||Pure and Applied Chemistry|
· Richi V. Mahajan,
· Vinod Kumar,
· Vinoth Rajendran,
· Saurabh Saran,
· Prahlad C. Ghosh,
· Rajendra Kumar Saxena
Purification and Characterization of a Novel and Robust L-Asparaginase Having Low-Glutaminase Activity from Bacillus licheniformis: In Vitro Evaluation of Anti-Cancerous Properties
|Saurabh Saran, Richi V. Mahajan, Rekha Kaushik, Jasmine Isar, Rajendra K. Saxena
|Enzyme mediated beam house operations of leather industry: a needed step towards greener technology||Journal of Cleaner Production
|Santosh Sankh, MeikandhanThiru, Saurabh Saran, Vidhya Rangaswamy
|Biodiesel production from a newly isolated Pichia kudriavzevii strain||Fuel
|Vidhya Rangaswamy, Saurabh Saran, Mithra Kannabiran, MeikandhanThiru, Santosh Sankh||Process for biodiesel production from a Yeast strain||WO 2011/051977 A2
|Vidhya Rangaswamy, Saurabh Saran, Mithra Kannabiran, MeikandhanThiru, Santosh Sankh||Biodiesel production from a Yeast strain||EP 2 494 029 B1
|Vidhya Rangaswamy, Saurabh Saran, Mithra Kannabiran, MeikandhanThiru, Santosh Sankh
|Process for biodiesel production from a Yeast strain||US 9,725,745 B2
|R.K. Saxena, Saurabh Saran,
|A method of optimization of the production of alkaline protease from Bacillus licheniformis and its use in dehairing of animal skins and hides.
|Saurabh Saran, Manoj Kumar, Shifali Chib, Rahul Bhat, Utpal Nandi, Ashish Dogra, Inshad Ali Khan, Srinivasa Reddy||Method for Cost Effective Production of Bacterial Cellulose Membranes for Transdermal Drug Delivery||Provisional Filled||(14.10.2020)|
Awards / Honours
- Best Poster awarded in the First University –Industry Interaction meet on lipase Research-needs and components, held at Department of Microbiology, University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, on May 20-21, 1999.
- Awarded as Best Keynote Speaker in Specialized workshop on Fermentation and zero effluent discharge from June 24-26th 2013 held at Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded as the Best Oral presenter in the Fourth National Science Day Symposium, University of Delhi South Campus, Feb., 27-28 2014.
- Best Poster Awarded on Hindi Diwas, event held at CSIR-IIIM between 14-09-2016 to 29-09-2016 at CSIR-IIIM, Jammu.
- Best Talk Award on Jammu & Kashmir Entrepreneurship Development Organized by Institute of JKEDI in the 2 Day workshop on Startup& Incubation, held from Jan 21 to 22, 2019 at JKEDI, Bari Brahma, Jammu
- Technology 9 Labs awarded Dr. Saurabh Saran as the “Best Bio Incubator Facility Manager” on 28.09.2019 at Hauz Khas, Delhi.
- Awarded Best Start Up Manager in the Oja Festival and Symposium2019 held on 10 Aug., 2019 at India International Centre, New Delhi.
- Awarded II Runner Up at Sanrachna-2019 exhibition held at Kathua in December 2019 in the category of best exhibitor to create awareness among local population. The event organized by M/s.Parichit Foundation New Delhi.
- Awarded with Best in Category of ‘Agriculture and Biotech’ at Organic and Biotech India World Expo 2019 held in Goa in August 2019. Event organised by Event Supported by Related Government of India Ministries. Ministry of AYUSH & Minister of State for Defence, Govt. of India.
|Photo||Name||Area of Interest||Organization|
|Ms Shifali Chib (Fermentation)||Kojic acid production||CSIR-IIIM Jammu|
|Ms Diksha Raina (Fermentation)||Identification of inhibitors for UDP-N- Acetylglucosamine Enolpyruvyl transferase (MurA) enzyme||CSIR-IIIM Jammu|
|Mr Manoj Kumar (Fermentation)||Biocellulose production (DBT-JRF)||CSIR-IIIM Jammu|
|Mr Rahul Bhat (Fermentation)||Antibiotic Mupirocin||CSIR-IIIM Jammu|
|Mr Ankush Verma (TBI)||Entrepreneurship||TBI,CSIR-IIIM Jammu|
|Ms Rakshi (TBI)||Skill manpower training||TBI,CSIR-IIIM Jammu|