Chemical Engineering & Design Division
Good Manufacturing Practice(GMP) at CSIR-IIIM is a system for ensuring that products are consistently produced and controlled according to quality standards. It is designed to minimize the risks involved in any pharmaceutical production that cannot be eliminated through testing the final product.
The optimization of various process parameters to maximize the yield of extraction and minimize the consumption of solvent which may increase the load on environment.
Chemical Engineering Divisionof CSIR-IIIM, Jammu is engaged in process development (Lab Scale) and scale-up of laboratory processes on a pilot plant in Non-GMP parameters.
Chemical Engineering Division involved in commercial-scale steam distillation of aromatic crops for the production of essential oil and value-added products.
Chemical Engineering Division also has walk-in-stability chambers for stability studies on real-life conditions and accelerated conditions as per theICH guidelines for NCE/IND molecules.
- Vision:“Saving Biodiversity, Saving Life”
- Mission:“We produce scientific evidence-based quality botanicals/herbal drugs from captive cultivation of medicinal plants by WHO standard extraction and formulations.”
About Core Competencies of the Department
- Process Development and scale-up of chemical processes from laboratory to pilot scale. Multipurpose extraction pilot plant, developed, designed, and fabricated in CSIR-IIIM Jammu is presently being used. A new automatic/manual state-of-the-art cGMP extraction plant has been installed and commissioned in chemical engineering (IIIM Jammu) for this purpose.
- Plant Capacity: To process around 15-20 kg of material per batch.
- Upscaling carried out from 100 g to 15/20 kg scale
- Purpose of reducing STEPS, reducing SOLVENTS, and increasing SAFETY of lab.
List of research facilities/ infrastructure available
- cGMP pilot plant for GMP grade herbal extraction and various formulations.
- Non-GMP facility for development of herbal extract at 25 kg dry weight capacity.
- Commercial scale lyophilizer for drying of hygroscopic extract of GMP grade.
- Walk-in-Stability chambers for stability studies as per the ICH guidelines for NCE/IND molecules.
- Fractional distillation column for isolation of commercially high-value compound from essential oil.
List of permanent staff members currently working in the Department
- Sumit Roy
- Sat Pal
List of current ongoing projects
- “Phytopharmaceutical Development ofFicus semicordata-Ham. ex Sm. as per regulatory guidelines of DCGI (under the Phytopharmaceutical Mission for North East Region)” GAP-2180.
- Development of Boswellia serratabased Phytopharmaceutical Drug for Osteoarthritis.
- CBD-THC Enriched Phytopharmaceutical Drug for Cancer Pain management
- Technology Business Incubator-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu, (National cGMP facility for Manufacture of Phytopharmaceutical Drugs)
|Inshad A. Khan, Amarinder Singh, Durga P. Mindala, Samdarshi Meena, Bhavana Vij, Arvind K. Yadav, Sumit Roy, Utpal Nandi, Anil K. Katare, Sundeep Jaglan, Deepika Singh, Ajai P. Gupta, Prasoon Gupta, Surjeet Singh, Manoj K. Tikko, Gurdarshan Singh, Ram A. Vishwakarma.||“Preclinical development of gastro-protective botanical candidate from Woodfordia fruticosa: Chemical standardization, Efficacy, Pharmacokinetics and Safety pharmacology”
|Journal of Ethnopharmacology (SCI) (IF 3.690)|
|Anil Kumar Katare, Bikarma Singh, Pooja Shukla, Sandeep Gupta, Bishander Singh, Kavya Yalamanchili, Nitin Kulshrestha, Rajendra Bhanwaria, Ashok Kumar Sharma, Sarita Sharma, Sneha, Durga Prasad Mindala, Sumit Roy, Rahul Kalgotra||“Rapid determination and optimisation of berberine from Himalayan Berberis lycium by soxhlet apparatus using CCD-RSM and its quality control as a potential candidate for COVID-19”
|Natural Product Research (SCI) (IF 2.20)|
|· Asha Upadhyay||Assessing eichhornia crassipes phytoremediation prospects for steel fabrication industry effluent||Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research (JETIR) (Non-SCI)|
|· Sandeep Gupta
|Seasonal Trends and Source Apportionment Study of RSPM, PM2.5, NO2 and SO2 in Ambient Air of Jammu City, Jammu & Kashmir||Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research (JETIR) (Non-SCI)|
|· Anil Kumar Katare
· Bikarma Singh
|Botanical Sources, Chemistry Aspects and Biological Functions of Berberine: An Updated Critical Review||“Botanical Leads for Drug
Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd.
|· Anil Kumar Katare, Inshad Ali Khan, Durga Prasad Mindala, Naresh Kumar Satti, Bal Krishan Chandan, Bikarma Singh,Gurdarshan Singh, Mowkashi Khullar and Neelam Sharma||Colebrookea oppositifolia Sm., An Important Hepatoprotective
Phytopharma Plant in Drug Discovery
|Plants for Human Survival and Medicine,
New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi (India)
|Rajendra Gochar, Bikarma Singh, Mamta Gochar, Rajendra Bhanwaria, Anil Kumar Katare||Grewia asiatica L., an Important Plant of Shivalik Hills: Agrotechnology and Product Development||Plants for Human Survival and Medicine,
New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi (India)
|Anil Kumar Katare, Inshad Ali Khan, Durga Prasad Mindala, Prasoon Kumar Gupta, Surjeet Singh, Bikarma Singh||Woodfordia fruticosa (L.) Kurz., a Potent Indian Medicinal Plant in Curing Peptic Ulcer||“Plants of Commercial Values”,
New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India
|Shaikh Tassaduq Abdullah, Pyare Lal Sangwan, Katare Anil Kumar, Kumar Amit, Nazir Ahmad Lone,Umar Ahmad Sheikh,Raghu Rai Sharma,Rajneesh Anand, Vishwakarma Ram Asrey||A Formulation of Glycyrrhiza Glabra based hydrogel product for skin Photoprotection and Preparation Thereof||Indian and International patent filled.||2020|
|Bharate Sonali Sandip, Singh Rohit, Gupta Mehak, Singh Bikarma, Katare Anil Kumar, Kumar Ajay, Bharate Sandip Bibishan, Vishwakarma Ram.||Gastroretentive Sustained Release Formulations of Bergenia Ciliata||International patent filled IN/16.10.17/INA201711036683||2018|
|Bharate Sonali Sandip, Singh Rohit, Gupta Mehak, Singh Bikarma, Katare Anil Kumar, Kumar Ajay, Bharate Sandip Bibishan, Vishwakarma Ram||Gastroretentive Sustained Release Formulations of Bergenia Ciliata||0120NF2017/IN||2018|