Dr. Payare Lal Sangwan
Natural Products & Medicinal Chemistry Division
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
I completed my Ph.D. (2006) in Chemistry with specialization in Natural Product Chemistry from the Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology Hisar. After a short industrial experience at Natural Remedy Banglore, I joined CSIR-IIIM Jammu as Scientist B in August 2006. From Aug 2009 onward I served as Scientist and senior scientist by working in the area of natural product chemistry for drug discovery and development as per mandate of the institute. During the scientific career I made essential contributions related to natural product chemistry in various projects funded by CSIR (11th and 12th Five year plan projects), DST and DBT as extramural grant. Beside this I have also contributed in various industrial projects (Procter and Gamble, Colgate and Palmolive, Holista Biotech/Tropical Botanic, Emami Ltd., Virdis Biopharma etc). Recently I have contributed all the three Mission projects (Aroma, Sickle cell anemia and Phytopharma) of the institute.
My focus area is isolation, characterization and derivatization of natural products for discovery of novel potent molecules from tradition medicinal plants including the high altitude plants. Beside this I am also working on phytopharmaceutical/herbal/AYUSH product development (Three leads i.e. Withania somnifera, Glycyrriza glabra, Tinospora cordifolia with Pirer longum are in clinical trial). I have <75 publications, <10 patents and book chapters in my credit.
|Ph.D.||Chemistry||Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar Haryana||2006|
|M.Sc.||Chemistry||Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology Hisar Haryana||2000|
Area of Expertise
- Agrotechnology development of major aromatic and medicinal plant.
- Soil salinity and alkalinity.
- Soil fertility and soil water plant relationship studies in food crops, medicinal and aromatic crops.
- Farmers’ participatory research.
- Phytopharmaceutical Development of Ficus semicordata-Ham. Ex Sm. as per regulatory guidelines of DCGI (under the phytopharmaceutical Mission for North East Region (GAP 2180)
- Discovery of target based novel bioactive natural products from high altitude plants Hippophae rhamnoids (Sebuckthorn) and Grewia asiatica (phalsa) for achieving the pharmacological and cosmatic effects against ultraviolet radiation induced skin damage (photo ageing/ carcinogenesis) (GAP-2167)
- Development of Phytopharmaceutical product for bovine mastitis (GAP-2141)
- Cultivation of cannabis and quantification of markers in different accessions. (CNP 1310)
- Natural Product Chemistry of Plants and microbes (MLP-4011)
- CSIR-Aroma Mission (HCP 0007)
- CSIR-Sickle Cell Anemia Mission (HCP 0008)
- CSIR-Phytopharmaceutical Mission (HCP 0010)
|S.K. Rath, S. Singh, S. Kumar, N.A. Wani, R. Rai, I.A. Khan, S. Koul, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Synthesis of (E)-3-(1-chloro-3,4-dihydronaphthalen-2-yl)acrylic acid substituted amino acid ester derivatives as inhibitors of Staphylococcus aureus NorA efflux pump to combat antimicrobial resistance.||Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2020, 27(2). 343-353|
|A. Saneja, R. Kumar, M. Javed, Mintoo, R.D. Dubey, P.L. Sangwan, D.M. Mondhe, A.K. Panda, P.N. Gupta.||Gemcitabine and betulinic acid co-encapsulated PLGA−PEG polymer nanoparticles for improved efficacy of cancer chemotherapy||Materials Sc. Engineering: C, 2019, 98, 764-771|
|N. Gupta, A. Qayum, A. Raina, R. Shanker, S. Gairola, S. Singh, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel bavachinin analogs as anticancer agents.||Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2018, 145, 511-523.|
|P.K. Chinthakindi, S.K. Rath, J. Singh, S. Singh, S. Koul, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Isolation of isoxanthanol and synthesis of novel derivatives as potential cytotoxic agents.||Med. Chem. Res. 2017, 26(10), 2499-2513.|
|N.A. Dangroo, J. Singh, S.K. Rath, N. Gupta, A. Qayum, S. Singh, and P.L. Sangwan*.||A convergent synthesis of novel alkyne–azide cycloaddition congeners of betulinic acid as potent cytotoxic agent.||Steroids. 2017, 123, 1-12.|
|N. Gupta, S.K. Rath, A. Qayum, J. Singh, S. Singh, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Synthesis of novel benzylidene analogues of betulinic acid as potent cytotoxic agents.||Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2017, 135, 517-530.|
|N.A. Dangroo, J. Singh, N. Gupta, S.K. Singh, A. Koul, M.A. Khuroo, and P.L. Sangwan*.||T- and B-cell immunosuppressive activity of novel α-santonin analogs with humoral and cellular immune response in mice.||Med. Chem. Comm. 2017, 8, 211-219.|
|A.A. Dar, N.A. Dangroo, A. Raina, A. Qayum, S.K. Singh, A. Kumar, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Biologically active xanthones from Codonopsis ovata.||Phytochem. 2016, 132, 102-108.|
|N. Gupta, S. Sharma, A. Raina, N.A. Dangroo, S. Bhushan, and P.L. Sangwan*.||Synthesis and anti-proliferative evaluation of novel 3,4-dihydro-2H-1,3-oxazine derivatives of bakuchiol.||RSC Adv. 2016, 6(108) 106150-106159|
|A.A. Dar, P.L. Sangwan*, I. Khan, N. Gupta, A. Qaudri, S.A. Tasduq, S. Kitchlu, A.K. Sharma, and S. Koul.||Simultaneous quantification of eight bioactive secondary metabolites from Codonopsis ovata by validated high performance thin layer chromatography and their antioxidant profile.||J. Pharma. Biomed. Anal. 2014, 100: 300-8.|
|A. Kumar, IA Khan, S Koul, PL Sangwan, DM Mondhe, U Nandi, G Singh, MK Tikoo, S Sharma, A Wani, SK Rath, S Singh, MJ Mintoo, RA Vishwakarma.||Pharmaceutical composition to enhance the bioavailability/bioefficay of drugs||(NF0166NF2018)||2019|
|S. Bani, A Pandey, I. Khan, S. Koul, P.L. Sangwan, V. Marnickavasagar, M. Rajendran||Eurycoma longifolia extract and uses thereof||IN 2012DE01039 A 20150731||2015|
|S. Koul, M.V. Reddy, P.L. Sangwan, B. Singh, C.P. Kumar, I.A. Khan, N.P. Kalia, A. Nargotra, R.A. Vishwakarma
|Novel diamides as potentiation of the bioefficacy of drugs.||IN 2011DE00864 A 20131122||2013|
|S. Bani, A Pandey, K. Kour, P. Chauhan, B. Chandan, N. Sharma, K. Singh, S. Koul, BD Gupta, P.L. Sangwan, D.K. Gupta, S. Lal, R. Manickavasagar||Adaptogenic activity of Labisia pumila extract||WO 2010147449
PCT Int. Appl. (2010), WO 2010147449 A1 20101223
|G.N. Qazi, S. Bani, A.Koul, A. Pandey, K. Kour, S. Koul, BD Gupta, P.L. Sangwan, R.K. Raina, R. Manickavasagar, BK Chandan, PS Chouhan||Composition obtained from Labisia pumila extract for hepatoprotective activity
|S Koul, N Thota, MV Reddy, P.L. Sangwan, SC Taneja, IA Khan, A Kumar, AF Raja, AK Saxena, SK Agrawal, RK Johri, TS Abdullah, G Singh, LNR Bachu, AK Dhar, B Purnima, GN Qazi.||Preparation of dihydronaphthalene derivatives as efflux pump inhibitors for treatment of infection||WO 2009110002||2009|
|S Koul, MV Reddy, N Thota, JL Koul, P.L. Sangwan, SC Taneja, IA Khan, A Kumar, N Kalia, TS Abdullah, RK Johri, AK Tikoo, MK Tikoo, AK Saxena, SK Agrawal, DM Mondhe, B Purnima, S Sharma, S Singh, GD Singh, S Bhusari, GN Qazi||Novel aromatic amides as Potentiator of bioefficacy of drugs.||U.S. Patent NF0113 2008.||2008|
|GN Qazi, S Bani, A Koul, A Pandey, K Kour, S Koul, BD Gupta, P.L. Sangwan, RK Raina, R Manickavasagar, BK Chandan, PS Chouhan||Composition obtained from Labisia pumila extract for hepatoprotective activity||PCT/MY2007/000079 WO 2009/064156A1.||2009|
Awards and Honours
- P.D. Sethi Annual Award-2016, Best Research Paper, J. Sep. Sci. 38, 4021-8, 2015
- P.D. Sethi Annual Award-2015, Best Research Paper, J Pharma Biomed. Anal. 2014
- Best poster presentation award Chemical Research Society of India meeting, Sept., 2011
- P.D. Sethi Annual Award-2011, Best Research Paper, J. Sep. Sci. 34, 749-760, 2011
- Best Poster presentation award at ASOMPS-XIII, Nov. 2008
- Associate Professor in the faculty of Chemical Sciences (AcSIR)
- Member in panel of expert to evaluate new phytopharmaceutical drugs proposals for regulatory approval (DCGI).
- Member in working group of CSIR-Ministry of AYUSH for cooperation on activities of common interest
|S NO.||Name||Area of Interest|
|1||Amit Kumar||Discovery of target based novel bioactive natural products from high altitude plants Hippophae rhamnoids L. (Sebuckthorn) and Grewia asiatica (phalsa) for achieving the pharmacological and cosmatic effects against ultraviolet radiation induced skin damage (photo ageing/ carcinogenesis)|
|2||Chetan Paul Singh||Phytopharmaceutical Development of Ficus semicordata Buch.-Ham. Ex Sm. as per regulatory guidelines of DCGI (under the phytopharmaceutical Mission for North East Region|
|3||Alpa Sharma||CSIR-Phytopharmaceutical Mission (HCP 0010)|