Dr. Vikash Babu
Fermentation Technology Division
CSIR – Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine,Canal Road, Jammu – 180001
Vikash Babu is a Senior Scientist & Assistant Professor (Fermentation Technology) at Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, the constituent laboratory of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India. He received Ph.D. in Biotechnology from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. He has joined as a scientist in fermentation technology division at Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine in 2013 and has experience in biotransformation and upscaling of industrial processes for pharmaceutically important compounds and involved in technology development and transfer to various industries.
His laboratory focuses on the synthesis of pharamaceutically important compounds using enzymes, biotransformation of low-value monoterpenes to high value products, process development for microbial production of immunosupressants and development of new fermentation based ayurvedic formulations.
|B.Sc||Zoology, Botany, Chemistry||CCS University||2002|
|Senior Scientist||11.06.2018-till date||CSIR-IIIM|
|Assistant Professor||07.02.2012-31.05.2013||Graphic Era University|
Area of Expertise
- Fermentation Technology
- Enzyme Technology
- Microbial production of pharmaceutically important products.
- Bioprospecting microbial species from unexplored ecological niches for novel molecules and enzymes. Major lab project of the Institute (MLP)-Ongoing. Funding Agency-CSIR
- Fermentation based process development for the production of tacrolimus drug. (Project Id- 2018-2851). Total cost-45.886 Lakhs (10th August 2019- ongoing). Funding Agency-ICMR
- Development of zine gluconate – Vitamin C formulation for immunity improvement and management of coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Funding agency-CSIR
- Development and validation of fermentation based immunomodulatory AYUSH kwath formulation, Funding agency- Ministry of AYUSH, Total amount- ≈69 lakhs
|Nitika Sharma, Ananta Ganjoo, Haseena Shafeeq, Deepika Singh, Sumeet Gairola and Vikash Babu||Valorization of distillation wastes of aromatic crops for the cultivation of biofortified Pleurotus florida||Waste and biomass valorization (2022): 1-8
|Ananta Ganjoo, Nitika Sharma, Haseena Shafeeq, Nargis Ayoub Bhat, Kashyap Kumar Dubey and Vikash Babu||Progress and challenges in the biofoundry of immunosuppressants: From process to practice||Biotechnology and Bioengineering 119.12 (2022): 3339-3369.
|Nitika Sharma, Ananta Ganjoo, Sumeet Gairola, Anuradha Srivastava, Deepika Singh and Vikash Babu||Two commercially important culinary mushrooms; Pleurotus spp. and Lentinula spp. and their cultivation potential on lignocellulosic waste from aromatic plants||Vegetos (2022).1-10
|Jyoti Chandan, Suruchi Gupta, Vikash Babu, Deepika Singh, Ravail Singh||Comprehensive analysis of codon usage pattern in Withania somnifera and its associated pathogens: Meloidogyne incognita and Alternaria alternate||Genetica (2022). 150.2, 129-144.
|Bashir Ahmad Lone, Anil Bhushan, Ananta Ganjoo, Meenu Katoch, Sumeet Gairola, Prasoon Gupta, Vikash Babu||Biotransformation of eugenol by an endophytic fungus Daldinia sp. IIIMF4010 isolated from Rosmarinus officinalis||Journal of Natural Product Research. (2022). 1-7
|Sharma, Hitesh, Rahul Vikram Singh, Ananta Ganjoo, Amit Kumar, Ravail Singh, and Vikash Babu.||Development of effective biotransformation process for benzohydroxamic acid production using Bacillus smithii IIIMB2907.”||3 Biotech 12 (2), 1-14 (2022)
|Sharma, Arushi, Amit Kumar, Vikash Babu, Asif Ali, and Meenu Katoch.||“Myxobacteria from animal dung pellets collected from northwestern Himalayas: A new source of di‐isobutyl phthalate.”||Journal of Basic Microbiology 62 (2) 162-173 (2022)
|Waqas Ahmed, Suruchi Gupta, Indranil Mukherjee, Vikash Babu and Ravail Singh||Comparative Studies of Codon Usage Profile of Anisakis simplex (Nematoda) and Fish Carassius gibelio (Prussian carp).||Journal of Environmental Biology 43(1), 123-132, (2022).
|Rahul Vikram Singh, Hitesh Sharma,Ananta Ganjoo, Amit Kumar, Vikash Babu||Novel enzymatic process for the synthesis of Vorinostat drug||Journal of Applied Microbiology. 129(6), 1589-1597 (2020).|
|Kanika Sharma , Sanjay Guleria, Vijay K. Razdan and Vikash Babu||Synergistic antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of essential oils of some selected medicinal plants in combination and with synthetic compounds||Industrial Crops and Products 154 (2020): 112569|
List of Patents
|Inventors/ Contributors||Title & patent number||Description||Year|
|Vikash Babu, Rahul Vikram Singh, Hitesh Sharma, Amit Kumar, Shaista Sultan, Varun Pratap Singh, Bhahwal Ali Shah, Parvinder Pal Singh||
Enzymatic Process for the Preparation of Vorinostat
|Filed (IN 201911047261)||2019|
Awards and Honours
- Awarded start-up research grant for young investigators ( 2014) from Science and Engineering research Board, Delhi
- DBT-Rapid Grants for Young Investigator (RGYI) Award 2012, Department of Biotechnology Govt. of India.
- Awarded Dr. D. S. Kothari Post Doctoral Fellowship (2012) from University Grants Commission, Delhi
- Senior Research Fellowship Award by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. Of India, New Delhi, 2007-2010
- Junior Research Fellowship Award by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. Of India, New Delhi 2005-2007
- Qualified CSIR-UGC Net for Lecturership (DEC 2004 & June 2005)
- Awarded M.Sc. Scholarship from DBT (Department of Biotechnology), Govt. of India (July 2003-June 2005).
|Photo||Name||Area of Interest||Position|
|Hitesh Sharma||Amidase catalyzed synthesis of hydroxamic acids||GATE-SRF|
|Ananta Ganjoo||Development of biotransformation processes for hydroxamic acid production||ICMR-SRF|
|Hema Kumari||Development of fermentation based ayurvedic formulations||CSIR-UGC JRF|
|Nargis Ayoub||Biotransformation of monoterpenes||Project Associate|
|Haseena Shafeeq||Biotransformation of monoterpenes||Project Assistant|
|Ritaj Rai||Biofortification of Mushrooms||Project Associate|